NOTICE:
From any post click the photo across the page top to see the entire blog.
JAMES' PERSONAL WRITINGS: SLOVING
JAMES' MOST STRATEGIC POSTS: *****
MUCH OF MY POSTING WAS ON FACEBOOK: STARTLOVING1

2.07.2012

'Occupy DC: Blinding How Many Officers Warrants a Crackdown?' SL (text, vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2LsG6sSexM


So blinding how many police officers on Saturday would warrant a police crackdown? How many hours, days, weeks, months are the police obligated to break the law for folks in Occupy? It would seem from Occupy's standpoint that any enforcement of the law is an inhumane, attackable offense if done by the Park police.
This was an eventful night for me. At 5:30, back at McPherson Park for my evening ration of homeless food, there was a Park Police officer, early 30s, nice-looking fella, African-American man, who I'd never seen before. He seemed to know me or know of me. I approached him nonthreateningly, of course, said I was disturbed about Saturday, wanted to share some observations, was expecting nothing from him in return. Would that be okay? He said yes and in a way that suggested he meant it. I told him, as I've described in posts earlier today, that it appeared to me that what had been a stellar, stunning, display of respect, for free speech and the Constitution by the Park police for three or four months now, stunning, staggering, breathtaking to anyone with eyes, which is almost no one, was thrown out the window, trashed, as near as I can tell, by blatantly bad-faith negotiation by officer Beck, the commanding officer, that by all reasonable appearances, professed to have a good faith, binding discussion with Occupiers, including a young man who I have tremendous respect for, for clearing the statue, getting off of the statue, and the then police agreed to remove only the tents that had bedding, food or were a health hazard. And based on my observations of the end of this negotiation at which point I went to recharge my laptop and upload some video, and my return several hours later, it appeared the police flagrantly, totally lied in that negotiation, and were removing, indiscriminately, all but a few token tents.

And I still don't know that that isn't exactly the case. But I'm mightily impressed with the conversation with the officer and a subsequent conversation I had.

The officer told me, he was an extremely genuine individual, as so many of the officers are, I can hardly think of an exception in years, stunning people. He said, I don't know the exact timing of what you're describing. I wasn't there. I didn't see it, he wasn’t the slightest defensive, but he said - what I do know is that everyone on the force was called to duty in preparation for that morning and we were clearly told that the Park police intended to continue to work with the demonstrators, as they had, unless and until there was any violence, at which point the orders were clear, they would quickly and totally empty the Park of people and then all of the tents and another demonstration material would be taken away; as has been demanded by the law, and I'm adding this part, as is demanded by the law, clear as day, and has not been enforced by the Park police, bending over backward to support free speech, this is categorically clear, against the wishes of the mayor, against the wishes of the vile refuse, that today calls itself the Republican party on Capitol Hill, those inhumane, two-legged rodents, vile creatures. The Park police have been taking all of that pressure. And this fine young officer went on to say - I don't know the exact timing, but I do know that one officer is in the process of losing his eyesight due to a bottle filled with liquid or rocks thrown at his eye, and that another was clubbed with a pole, two acts of violence, either of which was sufficient to trigger my orders, he said.

That's not a definitive answer for me. I am now stepping out of our conversation. I thanked the officer and tried to impress upon him how useful I thought our dialogue was, and that I would, as strongly as I could, voice when he shared back to any sane ears I could find.

Moments later, two African-American men that I've become significantly fond of, that had been associated with Occupy, very clean cut, well spoken, obviously responsible in every respect, appearance, demeanor probably late 30s early 40s, one a vet. I saw them and out of a mutual affection said hi and chose to share the conversation I just had with the police.

They were instantly on the side of the police. I've not spoken with either of them enough to have anticipated that at all. They were incensed by how the police had been berated for hours and hours and hours by a relatively small cadre of the Occupy contingent, the ones that one of the two fellows I'm now mentioning was one of the eighth of us planning to stand with me as human shields protecting the police against the feces and mustard gas bombs from these anarchist trash. They were incensed by a the way the police were treated by this horrifically vocal cadre, some of which I captured on tape and is on my youtube channel, more than a 1000 views on one, 500 on the other.

At this point a third gentleman who I had not observed before, early to mid 30s, extremely fine looking African-American man, extremely professional looking, not a business suit but very well groomed. He was utterly outraged about how one of the individuals was treating the officers. He made it clear that he had been taunting officers, but within boundaries he thought were appropriate to the situation, and how he became aware of a fellow he was next to, who was using language and sexual innuendo, and this guy made a point, for six hours this guy was firing it at police, the most vulgar, the most personal the most sexual, about their mothers, about their wives, and it just spilled out of him, so apparently this offending fellow is the fellow whose elbow was broken, or he has cuts on his head now his lawyer says, and I won't use the exact language, but this extremely well spoken, extremely well-kept man said, the police wound up tearing this guy apart, and one of the other gentleman was expressing concern, and this guy said, they had to do that! Did you hear how he was speaking to them?! He was outraged.

And my point, my major point to them, my major point to the few sane heads I've seen at Occupy over months is, 'you guys don't stand for anything if you don't stand against all abuse, including abusive of the police, and tragically, I saw no one except for me stand against the abuse of the police on Saturday.

My point isn't to condemn anyone, but I was correct then and I'm correct now, his movement is nothing, it's no different, it's no different than the 1%, just has different targets. Brotherhood is universal or it's not brotherhood, standing for justice is universal or it's not standing for justice, standing for what's right is universal or it's not standing for what's right. And then and now my hope is that some people will find the better part of themselves and begin to stand up for what's right.

My guess remains that officer Beck is a throwback, or the equivalent thereof, to the thugs Park police used to be. I don't know that, he may be a very fine man. But if the more police favorable view of this is true, he needs to come forth with that explanation and he needs to come forth with it to the people in Occupy, whether or not they're man or woman enough to hear it and respect it is not his responsibility. But it's his responsibility to justice, it's his responsibility to taxpayers to make a clear rendering of extremely reasonable perceptions of betrayal, and lies, that Occupy has.

And more importantly to the nation, and to the world, is that the better souls in Occupy look at themselves in the mirror and ask what level of standards they're really holding themselves to, because they're holding these officers to infinitely higher standard than they're holding themselves, and that's morally bankrupt, and it's totally hopeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment