NOTICE:
From any post click the photo across the page top to see the entire blog.
JAMES' PERSONAL WRITINGS: SLOVING
JAMES' MOST STRATEGIC POSTS: *****
MUCH OF MY POSTING WAS ON FACEBOOK: STARTLOVING1

2.18.2013

02.18.13 Cancer Update: So much to do. So little time....

The Good news: Not 1 Cancer in my Liver!
The not so good news - there are 2, 2 tumors in my liver.  Stage IV.

Looks like I don't have much time left. So much to do.  So little time.  Hmmmm.

20% probability, 1 in 5 chance of survival 5 years, tho I find nothing on the internet that gives such good odds.

Two tumors, left and right of liver - 1.5cm and .7cm.

So, what I think I can reasonably expect is another 1.5-2.5 years of fairly good functioning.  Maybe more, maybe less.

Chemo recommended - likely to give me at least several functional years.

Likely to begin in a week or two, as will residency in chemo-prison - CCNV infirmary.

If I had $$$, insurance, then an operation, or targeted chemo might be possible, substantially increasing the odds, but not covered by Medicaid.  However, they tell me, and I sort of believe, that regardless of insurance, the 6 months chemo is the recommended path regardless of $$$, as the 1st step.

The near total restriction of the Infirmary is NOT recommended, and the Cancer Doc will write recommendations that they be less restrictive with me, allowing trips to library, for example, on days I am functional, that is expected to be most days.  No idea if they will accept this.  They are pretty institutional, dismissive.  The could even deny me on this issue.

Treatment -

Every two weeks:

*  Blood test to be sure enough white blood cells are surviving.
*  2nd day - Next day 4 hours chemo
*  Leave with pump
*  3rd day - return and pump removed.

Often this chemo isn't too bad on nausea and fatigue, I'm told.

At the end of 6  months more scans to see how the tumors are doing.

Monday I go back for blood work, and to schedule the 1st treatment
of 6 months worth.   Treatment probably begins 2nd half of next week.  Hopefully, probably I can synchronize the hand-off of my stuff to a No. VA friend for storage and at the same time, same day, take up residence in the Homeless Shelter Infirmary.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment