You've already said you're standing with the President on his plan to reduce gun violence. So, let's talk next steps.
On Tuesday, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted 10 to 8 -- straight down party lines -- to move universal background check legislation forward.
When this bill comes up for consideration, the full Senate will have a chance to help reduce gun violence and keep dangerous weapons out of the wrong hands.
But if Tuesday's partisan vote showed us anything, it's that we've got a fight ahead of us. In spite of the fact that universal background checks are supported by 92 percent of Americans, 84 percent of Republicans -- and 74 percent of NRA members -- not a single Republican on the committee voted for this bill.
And we know why: There are a lot of special interests in Washington spending millions to gum up the works and stop all gun reform, even common-sense legislation like background checks.
We can't let their money drown out the voices of the 92 percent, or the families who've been tragically affected by gun violence -- from Newtown to Aurora to Virginia Tech.
It's time to get louder. There are two easy things you can do today to help keep the momentum going.
First, sign up to host a letter-writing party in your neighborhood. Simply put, people -- especially members of Congress -- read letters to the editor. In just 300 words or so, your letter can be the voice for this effort in your community -- even if all you say is that this matters, and we need to pay attention.
All you have to do is get a few friends together and talk about the issue at hand. Then sit down and put pen to paper (or fingers to a keyboard.) Sign up to host your event today, and we'll follow up with some resources, talking points, and tips for getting your letter published:
There's a second simple thing you can do right now to show visible support for universal background checks. Download this sign (PDF) and put it somewhere folks will see it -- in your window, on your desk, or maybe upload it as your Facebook profile picture.
If we do our jobs right, Congress won't be able to ignore the clear and overwhelming majority of Americans who support expanding universal background checks. They'll have to listen to the people they were elected to represent.
This won't be easy, but if we can pass some common-sense reforms to help save even one life, it will be worth it.
Organizing for Action
Let's finish what we started. Chip in $75 or more to Organizing for Action, the grassroots movement that will get the job done.
Contributions or gifts to Organizing for Action are not tax deductible.
- ***** White House Free Gaza Vigil
- The (Israeli) General's Son
- If Americans Knew
- Peace, Propaganda, Promised Land
- Israeli Myths and Propaganda
- Israel and Palestine
- vid. SAID TO ME, AN ARAB, "PEACE" MEANS 'DIE QUIETLY.'
- Princeton's Dr. Falk: Winning the Legitimacy War
- Desmond Tutu: Israel - Liberate Yourselves
- The Gatekeepers
- vid. Torah EXPRESSLY FORBIDS ISRAEL'S BEHAVIOR
- Bishop Tutu: IT IS APARTHEID
- Ha'aretz: Israeli teens, Racist and Proud
- Young Jews Against Occupation
- 327 Holocaust Condemn Elie Weizel, Israel, for Gaza Massacre, Demand Boycott
- Dr. Meyer, Holocaust Survivor, "Israel like the Nazis."
- "Loving, you're filled with Hate?!?!"
- NYMag: Cornell West and the Obama-Blaming Left
- Jews Against Genocide letter to Chief Rabbis of the World.
- Israel's Death Grip on US Politics
- CLASIC ZIONI PROPAGANDA SCRIPS
- Rabbi Siegman - Slaughtering of Innocents
- The Price of US Ignorance of the SCHOLARSHIP
- Life in Palestine
- The Zionist Story
- OCCUPATION 101
- vid. Palestine, [The Middle East], and US Policy. Scholar, Intellectual Edward Said
- The Iron Wall. 'MUST Watch,' Pr. Carter
- Oxford U: IS ISLAM VIOLENT?
- Yale's, Oxford's, Harvard's Rashid Khalidi... US HAS NEVER, EVER, BEEN AN HONEST BROKER...
- Russel Tribunal on Palestine
- Press Club DC: Reassessing US Israel
- IF YOU'VE A SHRED OF HUMANITY... WATCH THIS...Jewish Israeli Professor Nurit Peled: Gaza concentration Camp
- vid. Netanyahu: "America is easily moved.'
- MY FB PAGE
- HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR: 'ZIONISM, JUDAISM, OPPOSITIES'
I strongly suspect that there is only one true Revolution possible for the human species - past, present, future. And the only time it ever has been tried, to my knowledge, is for several decades during and after the life of Jesus. That Revolution? Lived, total, solidarity with the Global Neediest (human and non-human species). "The Golden Rule is to steadfastly refuse to have what millions cannot have," is how Gandhi said it. "Do unto others ALL that you would have them do unto you," is how Jesus Lived it, and how He or his followers, said it.